The Xiaomi 12S Pro is an affordable premium smartphone recently released by Xiaomi that features a lot of improvements over last year’s Xiaomi 12 Pro. It has the same display quality as the Xiaomi 12S Ultra and features the fastest charge technology in the Xiaomi 12S series.
The Xiaomi 12S Pro comes with triple 50MP sensors made by Leica, a Snpadrgaon 8+ Gen 1 chip, and a whopping 120W fast charge that can fully charge the 4,600mAh battery in less than 20 minutes. This makes it in contender as one of the best Android phones in 2022 and it offers more value than some pricier devices.
- Best Xiaomi Electric Scooters to Buy in 2022
- Best Xiaomi Phones with 4GB RAM
- Best Xiaomi Phones to buy in 2022
Xiaomi debuted the Xiaomi 12 Series late last year, but the company has just launched three new phones as part of the latest Xiaomi 12S Series including the Xiaomi 12S, the Xiaomi 12S Pro, and the Xiaomi 12S Ultra. The Xiaomi 12S and 12S Pro are minor upgrades over the Xiaomi 12 and Xiaomi 12 Pro while the Xiaomi 12S Ultra is a major step up from the Mi 11 Ultra.
To show you more about the new Xiaomi 12S Pro, here’s a breakdown of its specifications starting from the design, display, camera, chipset, battery, and price.
Check out our Xiaomi phones coverage
Xiaomi Mi Mix 4 | Xiaomi Redmi Note 11T 5G | Xiaomi Redmi Note 11S | Xiaomi Redmi Note 11S 5G | Xiaomi Redmi Note 11 Pro+ 5G | Xiaomi Mi 11i 5G | Xiaomi Mi 11t Pro | Xiaomi Redmi 10 5G | Xiaomi Redmi 10 | Xiaomi Redmi 10A | Xiaomi Redmi 10 2022
Table of Contents
Xiaomi 12S Pro Key Specifications
- Display: 6.73-inch LTPO2 AMOLED, 120Hz
- Resolution: 1440 x 3200 pixels
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1
- Front Camera: 32-megapixel
- Rear Camera: 50-megapixel + 50-megapixel + 50-megapixel
- RAM: 8GB /12GB
- Storage: 128GB /256GB /512GB
- Battery Capacity: 4600mAh
- OS: Android 12, MIUI 13
Design and Display
The Xiaomi 12S Pro has a similar design to the Xiaomi 12 Pro. There’s no significant difference in design, just that the Xiaomi 12S Pro offers the new Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1 chip. The phone has four colour options Gray, White, Purple, and Green.
One of the main advantages of this device is that it’s strongly built with a glass front, aluminium frame, and glass back. Unlike the Xiaomi 12S Ultra, the 12S Pro rear has a simple camera module that houses the fine giant triple camera setup. Upfront is a punch-hole cutout notch for the selfie camera.
The power button and volume rockers are on the right side of the phone, while the charging port and stereo speakers are on the bottom edge. With the absence of a 3.5mm headphone jack which is not even expected, we’re not sure whether it’ll have water /dust resistance ratings. However, the rest of the Xiaomi 12S Pro’s designs are excellent and one of the best you can get for this price.
Some sensors in the phone include Fingerprint (under display, optical), color spectrum, accelerometer, gyro, proximity, and compass.
The Xiaomi 12S Pro has a 6.73-inch display with an LTPO AMOLED panel, supports 120Hz refresh rate, HDR10+, and Dolby Vision. Also, it has a display resolution of 1440 x 3200 pixels, 1500 peak brightness levels, and 521 PPI density. The phone’s screen is slightly curved at the right and left edges to give it a more flagship look. Furthermore, it’s protected by Corning Gorilla Glass Victus.
- The Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra is another phone with great display
Xiaomi partnered with the photography giant Leica in developing the 12S Pro’s camera which takes the photography and videography experience to the next level.
The Xiaomi 12S Pro features a triple 50MP camera setup on the rear with one upfront. The camera department is headed by a 50MP primary shooter that has Dual Pixel, PDAF, and OIS features. It’s supported by another 50MP ultra-wide sensor and 50MP telephoto lens with PDAF and 2x optical zoom. Moving upfront is a 32MP sensor for the selfie camera.
One thing we like about Xiaomi phones is that they have the best photography features to make your pictures stand out excellently. When it comes to videos, the Xiaomi 12S Pro can shoot videos at 8k and 4k. Fortunately, it comes with exciting features such as panorama, gyro-EIS, OIS, Dual-LED dual-tone flash, and HDR.
- Take a sneak peek at the best copier and fax machines
Performance, Storage, and Software
The Xiaomi 12S Pro features the latest Qualcomm Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1 chipset built on TSMC 4nm process node. This is an Octa-core processor with a speed clocked at 3.19GHz paired with the Adreno 730 GPU.
The Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1 chipset is 10% faster than the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 chip that was on last year’s Xiaomi 12 Pro. It can conveniently play powerful games at the highest graphics resolution without any slowdown. Also, Xiaomi integrated a good Vapour Chamber cooling system that makes the phone not heat t after long hours of gaming.
- Best Home and Office Monochrome Laser Printers 2022
- Best Nokia Phones to Buy in 2022
- Best Infinix Smartphones 2022
The Xiaomi 12S Pro comes with four RAM and storage configurations including 8GB /128GB, 8GB /256GB, 12GB /256GB, and 12GB /512GB. With these varieties of storage options, you won’t expect to have extra space for storage expansion.
It boots in MIUI 13 based on Android 12 OS out of the box. Apart from the already available bloatware apps, you can conveniently download and install apps from the Google Play Store.
Battery Capacity and Charging
The Xiaomi 12S Pro is powered by a 4600mAh battery capacity that’s strong enough to last you for the entire day once fully charged.
Then for charging, there’s a 120W fast charging technology that can fully power the phone from an empty battery in 19 minutes. This is the biggest we’ve ever seen on an Android phone and you’ve access to 50W fast wireless charging and 10W reverse wireless charging.
- Check out the best phones with strong battery life
Xiaomi 12S Pro: Price in Nigeria and Availability
The Xiaomi 12S Pro will be sold at ₦548,000 (roughly $899) for the base model with 8GB RAM and 128GB of storage. This makes it a deal-breaker between the high-end Xiaomi 12S Ultra and the Xiaomi 12S. This is because it has some of the Ultra features and it’s relatively priced low too.
As for availability, the Xiaomi 12S Pro will be launched in the Nigerian market this July ending or beginning of August. However, the phone is already available for pre-order and sale in China first before coming to other regions at a later date.
- The OnePlus 10 Pro will make a great alternative
Xiaomi 12S Pro Full Specifications
- Brand: Xiaomi
- Model: 12S Pro
- Release Date: July 07, 2022
- Operating System: Android 12, MIUI 13
- Weight: 203g
- Colours: Gray, White, Purple, Green
- Touchscreen: YES
- Type: LTPO AMOLED, 1B colors, Dolby Vision, HDR10+, 1000 nits (HBM), 1500 nits (peak)
- Display Size: 6.73-inches, 120Hz
- Screen Resolution: 1440 x 3200 pixels
- Dimensions: 163.6 x 74.6 x 8.2 mm or 8.7 mm
- Facelock Support: YES
- In-display fingerprint scanner: Yes
Sensors: Fingerprint (under-display)
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM8450 Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1 (4 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×3.19 GHz Cortex-X2 & 3×2.75 GHz Cortex-A710 & 4×1.80 GHz Cortex-A510)
- GPU: Adreno 720
- RAM: 8GB /12GB
- Inbuilt Storage: 128GB /264GB /512GB
- SD Card slot: No
- Rear Flash: Dual-LED Flashlight
- Rear Camera: 50MP f/1.9 (wide), 50MP f/1.9 (telephoto), 50MP f/2.2 (ultra-wide)
- Video: 8K@24fps (HDR), 4K@30/60fps (HDR10+), 1080p@30/120/240/960fps, 720p@1920fps, gyro-EIS
- Front Camera: 32MP f/2.5 (wide)
- Front Flash: —
- Wi-Fi: YES
- Bluetooth: 5.2
- USB: USB Type-C 2.0, USB On-The-Go
- GPS: YES
- WLAN: YES
- SIM: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Technology: GSM | HSPA | LTE
- 3G Support: Yes
- 4G/ LTE Support: Yes
- 5G Support: Yes
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A, 5G
- Capacity: Li-Po 4600mAh, non-removable
- Fast Charge: 120W
- Price in Nigeria: ₦548,000
- Price in Dollar: $899